Functional Testing is basically a type of software testing which checks if all the functions of a software application are working properly and in accordance with the specifications required. One thing worth mentioning here is that this has no link to the source codes of any application; it involves just the black box testing. All the functions of the system are testing by the method of sending inputs and then checking for the outputs and finally comparing the actual output with the expected output.
The main functions for which the application is tested are:
- User Interface
- Client Applications
- Server Applications
This testing takes place either manually or even can be automated.
What is tested in the Functional Testing?
The main concentration of this testing is on the following:
- Basic Usability: This checks if the user could move through the different screens with ease or not.
- Error conditions: It checks the application for any error conditions that may come up and in case they do will a suitable error message be displayed or not.
- Accessibility: Checks if the system is easily accessible to the user
- Mainline functions: Checks if the main functions of the system are working fine and as expected.
The process of testing the functionality of a system takes place in the following steps:
- Identifying the requirements
- Identify all the test inputs
- Evaluate the expected outcome for the selected test input values
- execute the test cases
- compare the expected result to the achieved result from the test inputs
There are 2 different scenario testing approaches:
- Positive Testing: These are basically happy paths: these are conducted to ensure that the system or app meets at least all the basic requirements that are necessary for usage of the customer.
- Negative Testing: Under this kind of functional testing the main objective it to test if the product is behaving correctly even when an unexpected or wrong data is fed to it.
Functional Testing has the following benefits:
- The ensures the satisfaction of the customer as well as the end user
- It works on ensuring that the software is without any defect
- Ensures that all the requirements of the system are met
- Ensures Safety and Security
- Improves the product quality
- Works on reducing the losses and also the risks associated with the product or the software.
Functional testing can also be done on several platforms and one such platform where you can register in order to conduct testing efficiently is pcloudy.This is basically a Browser based app testing platform which is used for performing manual and automated testing on your mobile device. To use the various benefits of pcloudyone needs to register on pcloudy.Once successfully logged in you could connect any device and following which the network is established virtually.
It makes your testing fast, efficient and also free of any sort of error.